What to expect for 2021
The first Household Hazardous Waste event took place twenty years ago and evolved as years went by. Here’s what residents can expect for this year’s event:
- The event is scheduled to take place at the George Preston Recreation Centre, 20699 - 42 Avenue. The event will take place outdoors, in the parking lot, from 9:00am until 3:00pm.
- This event is open to Township of Langley and Langley City residents. Proof of residency is required to participate in this free event, but no pre-registration is required. Examples of accepted proof of residency includes government issued ID or utility bill with a Langley address.
- Occupants of vehicles are asked to keep their windows rolled-up unless speaking to staff and wear a mask during the entirety of their drop-off.
- Residents must remain in their vehicles at all times – only event staff will unload waste from vehicles.
- Items will only be accepted if they are retrievable via truck beds or vehicle trunks/hatches. No items will be accepted from the cabin of a vehicle or accepted through windows/doors.
- Boxes, totes, and containers carrying or storing items for drop-off will not be returned. This includes items attendees often want returned, such as Rubbermaid-style totes or plastic bins/baskets. Residents are advised to only bring items to the event that are fit for disposal or recycling.
- Liquid items must be in a secure container with a secure lid. Leaking items will not be accepted as they can be dangerous if spilled or mixed with other materials.
- Household quantities only.
- This event will move forward as long as health guidelines allow and will adapt to all provincial health and safety requirements as needed. Details and requirements for attendees are subject to change.
- Non-perishable food donations for the Langley Food Bank will be gratefully accepted. Sorry, no cash donations.
Items accepted at the event for drop off:
- Ballasts (must be removed from fixtures)*
- Batteries (residential and automotive)*
- Brake fluid
- Concentrated acids
- Darkroom chemicals
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent lights/bulbs*
- Furniture stripper
- Motor oil*
- Oven cleaner
- Paint and thinners*
- Propane fuel tanks (empty)*
- Swimming pool chemicals
- Toilet bowl cleaner
- Transmission fluid
- Mercury thermostats*
- Small appliances*
- Smoke detectors*
Want to skip the line on event day? Asterisked items above can be disposed of for free all year long. Find out where and how.