Skip to main content

Permits & Licensing

The City's Planning and Development Department regulates land use and is available for your assistance prior to building or making changes to your home or property.



In this section of the website, you will find information on obtaining building permit applications, forms, and procedures, fees and bylaws. 

Sprinkler Systems

All buildings and structures will, when constructed or altered, be equipped with sprinklers installed and maintained in accordance with the current NFPA 13 standard.

This part does not apply to the construction of, alteration of or addition to a building or structure, if:

(a) the building or structure is a single-family or two-family residential dwelling;

(b) the total market value of the work authorized by the building permits issued in respect of the building or structure in any consecutive 36 month period, excluding the value of floor covering materials, does not exceed 30% of the most recent assessed value of the building or structure determined by the B.C. Assessment Authority;

(c) the alteration or addition is required for an occupant load not exceeding 60 persons.


2016 Business License Renewal Notice Attention City of Langley Businesses!

In accordance with City of Langley Business License Regulation Bylaw, 2013, No. 2916, all 2015 Business Licenses expire at midnight on December 31, 2015. The City of Langley will be mailing renewal notices to all City businesses in the next week. Please ensure that you renew your business license by paying the fee in your renewal invoice by December 31, 2015. The following payment options are available:

  • Online
  • By mail
  • In-person at Langley City Hall

Development Services & Economic Development
Second Floor, Langley City Hall

20399 Douglas Crescent
City of Langley, BC
V3A 4B3

Note: A 25% penalty will be added to business license fees paid between January 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017. A 50% penalty will be added to business license fees paid after January 31, 2017.

Thank you for your cooperation. For more information, please call City of Langley Development Services & Economic Development at 604-514-2804.


What is Intermunicipal Business license?

  • An Intermunicipal Business allows mobile businesses to operate in more than one municipality by purchasing one license, rather than by obtaining separate licenses in each municipality in which they operate.

Who is eligible for an IML?

  • Eligibility is limited to mobile businesses, defined as trades contractors or other professionals (related to the construction industry) that provide a service or product other than from their fixed and permanent location.
  • Only mobile businesses which have fixed and permanent location in one of the participating municipalities are eligible for the IML.

Where will my Intermunicipal Business Licence (IML) be valid?

An IML is valid in each of the following participating municipalities:

  • City of Langley
  • Township of Langley
  • City of Surrey
  • City of Abbotsford
  • City of Chilliwack
  • City of Maple Ridge
  • District of Mission
  • District of Hope
  • City of Pitt Meadows
  • District of Kent Agassiz
  • City of Delta

Where can I apply?

  • You can apply for IML at City of Langley if your business is located in the City of Langley.
  • If your business is located outside of City of Langley, then please call one of the participating municipalities where your business is located.

What is the cost of an IML?

  • For an existing business license the IML fee is $250 plus $170.
  • For new applications the IML fee is $250 plus $220

For how long is an IML valid?

  • An IML is valid for the same length of term as your municipal business license.

Will I need any other licenses?

  • Mobile businesses will still need to obtain a municipal business license from their home municipality and a license for each fixed and permanent location they have.
  • The IML is only valid within the participating municipalities, therefore mobile businesses will still need to check with the business licensing offices of any other municipality in which they intend to operate.

What are the advantages of IML?

  • Businesses:reduced time and cost, and simplified expansion into new markets;
  • Residents: more choice of contractors and service providers; and
  • Municipalities less paperwork and greater compliance with municipal regulations.

When will the IML program start?

  • It will start on January 1, 2013 in participating municipalities in the Fraser Valley region as an Intermunicipal Business License Pilot Project.
  • Term of this Pilot Project is one year and it is subject to Council review at the end of the term.

For more information, please contact the Chief Business License Inspector at 604-514-2818


Business License Application

2016 Business Licence Fees



Non-Profit Organization

No Charge

Government Services

No Charge


$173.00       plus $50.00   $  223.00

Mobile Vendor

$1,341.00            $50.00   $1391.00

Food Primary (restaurants)

$220.00                $50.00  $  270.00

Liquor Primary (bars, pubs, neighbourhood pubs)

$4825.00             $50.00   $4875.00

Liquor Primary (cabarets, nightclubs)

$6829.00             $50.00   $6879.00

Gaming Activities

$6829.00             $50.00   $6879.00

Personal Health Enhancement Centers

$6829.00             $50.00   $6879.00

Residential Rental Property (CFRRR Certified)

$173.00               $50.00   $  223.00

Residential Rental Property (CFRRR Uncertified)

$618.00               $50.00   $  668.00

Home Occupation

$173.00               $50.00   $  223.00

Newspaper distribution Vending Boxes

$173.00 plus $27.00 per unit plus $50.00

All Other Uses not defined about

$173.00               $50.00   $  223.00



Business Licence Application Administration Fee $50.00  


All businesses, including registered non-profit operations, are required to have a valid business license before beginning operation.

Retail, commercial and industrial operations, as well as the owners of rental residential properties must have a valid business license.

Business licenses are required for any company conducting business in the City of Langley, whether located in our jurisdiction or not.

The application is forwarded for approval from Development Services (Planning & Building) Fire Dept, RCMP and Health Dept.

All licenses are for a 12 month period and expire on their anniversary date.

Please note: We do not take credit card numbers over the phone. You may pay your business license fees by credit card in person at City Hall or online using our Easy Pay system. 


The steps for obtaining a business license are as follows:

  1. The applicant decides on the location of the project before making application for business license.
  2. The applicant consults with the Development Services Department to determine if the zoning is appropriate.
  3. The applicant completes the "Business license Application" obtained at the Development Services Department office and submits a non-refundable fee with any relevant information required.
  4. The license Inspector refers the application to the other City Departments for review.
  5. If the premises requires alteration or improvement to meet City requirements, a building permit will be required, before approval of the Business license.
  6. It the application cannot be approved, the applicant will be informed.
  7. It is a condition that an occupancy permit be issued prior to the issuance of a business license for any new building.
  8. After approval is received from all departments, the license will be issued.

If you are going to operate under a business name as a sole proprietorship, partnership or limited company, register your business with the provincial Registrar of Companies. This service is available at the Langley Chamber of Commerce.


A home occupation shall satisfy all the following conditions:

  1. Must be conducted by a resident of the residential building in which they are permitted and shall not employ more than one person not resident therein;
  2. Shall meet all Provincial and Federal health and safety requirements and produce no public offence or nuisance, by noise, vibration, smoke, odour, dust, heat, glare, electrical interference or by any other means; and
  3. Shall not give any external indication of the existence of the occupation, other than a name plate not exceeding 0.2 m2 [2.15 ft2] by displays, floodlighting, storage of materials, alteration of the appearance of buildings or by any other means.
  4. Child Care Centre is not permitted as a home occupation in Single Family Residential lots containing Secondary Suites.