All businesses conducting operations in the City of Langley, whether located in our jurisdiction or not, are required to have a valid business license before beginning business activities, according to municipal Business License Regulation Bylaw, 2013, No. 2916. This includes retail, commercial, industrial operations, home-based businesses, owners of rental residential properties and registered non-profit operations.
For mobile operations that need to conduct business in multiple municipalities, the Intermunicipal Business License is a cost effective solution.
Business License renewals can be completed online through our Easy Pay system or by mail or in person at Langley City Hall Development Services & Economic Development, 2nd Floor, 20399 Douglas Crescent, Langley, BC V3A 4B3.
An Intermunicipal Business License (IML) allows mobile businesses to operate in more than one municipality by purchasing one license, rather than by obtaining separate licenses in each municipality in which they operate. This provides significant cost savings as well as streamlines operations for applicants.
Eligibility is limited to mobile businesses, defined as trades contractors or other professionals (related to the construction industry) that provide a service or product other than from their fixed and permanent location. Only mobile businesses, which have a fixed and permanent location in one of the participating municipalities, are eligible for the Intermunicipal Business License. Get your IML from your home community.
- City of Langley
- Township of Langley
- City of Surrey
- City of Abbotsford
- City of Chilliwack
- City of Maple Ridge
- District of Mission
- District of Hope
- City of Pitt Meadows
- District of Kent Agassiz
- City of Delta
The cost of an Intermunicipal Business License for an existing business is $250 plus $173. For new applications, the fee is $250 plus $220.
2017 Business Licence Fees
Note a business licence application administration fee of $50.00 is applicable on all applications.
If you are a mobile business such as a trades contractor or other professional (related to the construction industry) that provides a service or product other than from their premises, you are eligible to apply for an Inter-Municipal Business Licence (IMBL).
The cost of an IMBL is an additional $250.00 /year. For more information click here
If you are new to the community, you will need to complete a Business License Application. If you are renewing your business license, you may pay online or by mail or in-person at Langley City Hall, Development Services & Economic Development, 2nd Floor, 20399 Douglas Crescent, Langley, BC V3A 4B3.
The steps for obtaining a business license are as follows:
- The applicant decides on the location of the project before making application for business license.
- The applicant consults with the Development Services Department to determine if the zoning is appropriate.
- The applicant completes the "Business License Application" obtained at the Development Services Department office and submits a non-refundable fee with any relevant information required.
- The license Inspector refers the application to the other City Departments for review (such as Fire Dept, RCMP and Health Dept).
- If the premise(s) requires alteration or improvement to meet City requirements, a building permit will be required, before approval of the Business License.
- If the application cannot be approved, the applicant will be informed.
- It is a condition that an occupancy permit be issued prior to the issuance of a business license for any new building.
After approval is received from all departments, the license will be issued.
HOME OCCUPATION RESTRICTIONS
Home occupation shall satisfy all the following conditions:
- Must be conducted by a resident of the residential building in which they are permitted and shall not employ more than one person not resident therein;
- Shall meet all Provincial and Federal health and safety requirements and produce no public offence or nuisance, by noise, vibration, smoke, odour, dust, heat, glare, electrical interference or by any other means; and
- Shall not give any external indication of the existence of the occupation, other than a name plate not exceeding 0.2 m2 [2.15 ft2] by displays, floodlighting, storage of materials, alteration of the appearance of buildings or by any other means.
- Child Care Centre is not permitted as a home occupation in Single Family Residential lots containing Secondary Suites.
- City of Langley’s online Easy Pay
- Through BizPal. BC Biz Pal is a joint municipal, provincial, and federal website designed to streamline the acquisition of permits and licensing.
- By mail
- In-person at Langley City Hall
Langley City Hall
Development Services & Economic Development
Second Floor, 20399 Douglas Crescent
Langley, BC V3A 4B3
Please note: We do not take credit card numbers over the phone. You may pay your business license fees by credit card in person at City Hall or online using our Easy Pay system.
NOTE: All Business Licences are valid for a 12 month period and expire on their anniversary date or at midnight on December 31. A 25% penalty will be added to business license fees paid between January 1 and January 31. A 50% penalty will be added to business license fees paid after January 31.
BC ONESTOP BUSINESS REGISTRY
Before you apply for a Business License, you will need to register your business with the Province of BC. BC OneStop Business Registry is service by the Province of British Columbia, which provides information on starting a business, business name approvals, business registration, incorporations, and liquor licenses. Visit BC OneStop.
BIZPAL LICENCING AND PERMITS
BC Biz Pal is a joint municipal, provincial, and federal website designed to streamline the acquisition of permits and licensing. Visit BizPal.
GREATER LANGLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (GLCC)
The Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce is the City of Langley’s main point of contact for business services and resources, such as business licensing, business registry, BC-Canada Job Grant, and more. Visit the Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce.